It was too rainy to leave the house this morning BUT it was a bank holiday (WOOP WOOP!) so I had lots of free time to make our own brunch and also managed to keep it under 300 calories! This dish is dead easy to make, it has all the taste with half the calories and it looks beautiful on the kitchen table!
4 eggs, keep them at room temperature before making this recipe.
1 medium red onion
400g tin of chopped tomatoes
1 medium bell pepper
30g of feta cheese
10 cherry tomatoes, halved.
salt and pepper
chilli flakes/fresh chilli
2 crushed cloves of garlic
*Note: your frying pan must fit into your grill oven*
- Finely chop the red onion and add to a non-stick frying pan (or use a low kcal spray oil) with the crushed garlic cloves – keep on a medium heat until the onion becomes slightly translucent
- Next add the tin of chopped tomatoes with a generous helping of ground pepper and keep on the medium heat for 4-5minutes
- Once the tomato mixture starts to bubble, turn the heat down to the lowest setting and add the cherry tomatoes.
- Add the chopped peppers to your mixture and then using your spatula, one at a time, create four small holes in your mixture and crack an egg into each hole. It doesn’t have to be perfect, don’t worry! The eggs will sink to the bottom of the mixture anyway and will form proper shapes as they cook.
- Once the egg whites have turned opaque, crumble the feta on top and place your pan under the grill for 3-5minutes. Keep watching your pan as it can burn very quickly.
- You know the recipe is ready to serve when the eggs have cooked on top, there should be no clear egg white left and it shouldn’t be very wobbly, you can then remove the pan and sprinkle the rocket and chilli flakes/fresh chilli on top.
- I love serving this recipe straight from the pan but be careful as it can be very hot after being in the grill. This recipe is best served immediately, with a side salad and some sweet potato wedges!
*Pictured above: A very happy roommate!*
Nutritional information per serving :
275kcal, 20g protein, 14g fat, 16g carbohydrate, 6g fibre.